Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Only One

Being treated as the only one and thinking you are the only one are two completely different things! Today is my birthday, so yesterday, my wonderful hubs made me dinner (delicious), bought me an Iphone (yes!), said sweet things to me (love that), secretly brought home my all time favorite ice cream (he knows the way to my heart), and gave me the loveliest card. And he even watched Father of the Bride with me (I know...he's a keeper)! I felt so loved and honored and valued. Thank you so much, Dave! I love you. :)

As I mentioned above, today, June 14th (Flag Day) is my actual birthday. What better way to spend it then at school?? Yes, that is where I have been for the past 6 hours. I'm taking two classes right now. In both classes there is a girl who, as far as I can tell, thinks she is the only one in the whole class! When the professors ask a question (rhetorical or not) she will answer out loud. When the professors pause in the middle of a sentence, she will finish the sentence. When the professors make a point she will give a verbal "Right!" or "Hmmhmm!" or "Exactly!" In an effort to fight my welling annoyance, I tried to find the positive things about her. She has an obvious love for learning, she is interactive, she is a leader, she is paying attention, she is affirming. Then I asked her to do a group project with me. Maybe I'll get to know her more and hopefully gain another perspective of her other than she thinks she's the only one!

So, the moral of these stories...it is much more rewarding to be treated as the only one than to think you are the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment